Saturday, January 17, 2009

It's simple but rarely easy!

I've been thinking about the "things" of God. And it seems to me that when I finally do get something (concerning God and His Kingdom) it then seems so simple. It's like - why didn't I see that, or understand that before. Why do I make things so difficult!
This is how it goes down for me - Before I understand something it seems hidden, complicated or mysterious. But after I get it - it seems so simple, pure and obvious! Huh!
I believe my problem is - I try to figure things out on my own - you know, using common sense and intellect (STOP LAUGHING NOW!). OK, I don't have a lot of intellect - but I'm doing pretty well in the common sense area.
Listen to
I Corinthians 3:18-21 from the Message Bible, "Don’t fool yourself. Don’t think that you can be wise merely by being up-to-date with the times. Be God’s fool—that’s the path to true wisdom. What the world calls smart, God calls stupid. It’s written in Scripture, He exposes the chicanery of the chic. The Master sees through the smoke screens of the know-it-alls. I don’t want to hear any of you bragging about yourself or anyone else."
Why would God give us this warning. I believe it is because we have a tendency to lean upon our our natural abilities. Now God wants us to use our abilities but he doesn't want us to lead with our abilities. He wants us to yield to Him and follow Him. I call this "the dance of GRACE." He leads I follow. If you watch a couple ballroom dancing, only one of them is leading. But the one following must use all of their abilities as they are led by the other. This is a picture of God and us. It's His wisdom we need. And when the Holy Spirit whispers the wisdom of God in our heart - the light turns on and we say - that's so simple!
My struggle is to deny myself and yield to God! So often - I'd rather do it my way. I need to remember
Luke 9:23 "'Then He said to them all, 'If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.'"
When I do yield to Him - I am so blessed. Father help me deny myself and follow Your lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment